If your windscreen becomes damaged or chipped, you need to get the repair done immediately. Otherwise, the chipped windscreen can become a major repair. Count on a professional company that handles both repairs and installations.
If the chip is in the direct line of sight of the driver or is made up of more than three cracks, you will probably have to opt for installation. The windscreen provides stability for the frame of the car. Therefore, it is crucial that it is in the best condition.
Why Cracks and Damage Need to Be Repaired
Cracks and damage need to be addressed for the following reasons:
- They can affect the solidity and strength of the glass
- The can impact the optical clarity
According to specialists who take care of Stoke-on-Trent windscreen services, most cars on the road feature windscreens made of laminated glass. This type of construction entails the following:
- Two pieces of glass contain an interlayer of a plastic-like material or resin
This kind of structure is established for the following reasons:
- Enhanced optical quality
- Better fracture performance
- Resistance to weathering
The Standard Used for Installation and Repair
The standard used for the repair and replacement of windscreens is set by the British Standard Cod or Practice, or BS AU 242A 1998.
The code of practice advises concerning the following:
- The type and size of the windscreen damage
- The amount of the windscreen that needs repair
- Processes that need to be followed by the repairer
- The phases necessary to evaluate the quality of the repair
- Reports that need to be filled out and recorded by the repairer
As you can see, windscreen repair is a specialised process – one that requires your immediate attention.